Modern versions of iOS come with motion and fitness tracking feature. When activated, it stores data on your iPhone which can be used to estimate pivotal things like step counts, body motion, stairs claimed, mobility, and more. While this health-centric feature generally works as expected, there are times when it goes completely wrong. And when it hits the rough patch, you have inaccurate step counts and mobility data which can dampen your spirit to get fitter. But bother not, I have found some workable tips to fix fitness tracking not working on iPhone. So, let’s resolve the issue sooner than later!
Tips to Fix Fitness Tracking Not Working on iPhone
First off, let’s figure out the possible obstacles that could be preventing fitness tracking from working properly.
So, Why Does Fitness Tracking Feature Not Able to Record Accurate Data on my iPhone?
Having myself been on the wrong end of this issue many a time, I can say that occasional software glitch is the biggest culprit that hinders the fitness tracking feature from working with the desired accuracy. No prizes for guessing! A hidden bug could also be very much in the play. Hence, we will focus our tips on fixing the software-related glitch. That aside, you can also put some blame on your inability to get the most out of the fitness tracking feature.
1. Make Sure Your iPhone is Compatible with Motion and Fitness Tracking
To get going, ensure that your iOS device is compatible with motion and fitness tracking. Have a look at the list of devices that support it!
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE 1st gen
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone SE 2nd gen
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE 3rd gen
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 mini
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
2. Disable/Enable Fitness Tracking on Your iPhone
Many a time, all you need to do to fix the fitness tracking issue not working problem is to just turn it off/on. Considering how effective it is, give it a try.
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone -> Privacy & Security -> Motion & Fitness Tracking. Now, turn off the toggle for Fitness Tracking.
- After that, restart your iPhone.
- Once your iPhone has rebooted, go back to the same setting and then turn on Fitness Tracking.
3. Ensure That the Health App Can Access the Fitness Activity
It’s with pointing out that every health and fitness app asks for your permission to access your motion and fitness activity. Thus, ensure that you have allowed the app in question (i.e Health app) to retrieve your fitness activity.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone -> Privacy & Security -> Motion & Fitness Tracking. Now, make sure that the toggle for the health app is turned on.
4. Force Restart Your iPhone
If the fitness tracking is still ill-functioning, hard reset your iPhone. For those uninitiated, it’s well-known for sorting out weird issues.
Force Restart iPhone 8/X or Later
1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
3. Then, make sure to hold down the side until the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Force Restart iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
1. Press and hold the side button and the volume down button simultaneously.
2. Keep holding both buttons until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Force Restart iPhone 6s or Earlier
1. Press and hold the home button and side/top button at once.
2. Be sure to hold down both buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
5. Factory Reset Your iPhone
Another highly effective solution that you should try to get rid of the fitness tracking issue on iPhone is to factory reset the device. Keep in mind that it will erase all the existing settings. However, none of your media and data will be deleted.
- Head into the Settings app on your iPhone -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset All Settings and confirm the action.
6. Update Software on Your iPhone
Nothing has worked in fixing the motion and fitness tracking issue on your iPhone? Don’t worry, a software bug appears to be at the heart of the problem. Therefore, updating the software is more likely to resolve it.
- Navigate to the Settings app on your iPhone -> General -> Software Update. Then, download and install the latest iOS update as usual.
Fixed Fitness Tracking Not Working on iPhone…
There you go! I guess the fitness tracking feature is back on track. Now that you have resolved the problem, let me know the tip that has worked for you. As always, if you know any other trick that works in troubleshooting this issue, be sure to let me know that as well.