Live Speech lets you speak aloud into your computer’s microphone using synthesized speech. In other words, you can use this Accessibility feature to type and have your words spoken in person on FaceTime calls, Phone, and other compatible apps using your personal voice or several other available voices. For folks who are suffering from ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), Live Speech could be nothing less than a boon.
But have you ever wished to take control of Live Speech without having to dig into the System Settings app every single time the need arrives? If yes, let me show you how to enable/disable Live Speech with a shortcut in macOS 14 Sonoma on Mac.
Enable or Disable Live Speech With a Shortcut on Mac in macOS 14 Sonoma
Wondering how this handy tip works? Well, it requires you to set up Live Speech’s Accessibility shortcut. Once the setup is done, you can trigger it with Touch ID and a quick keyboard shortcut.
Customize Live Speech on Your Mac
To get started, ensure that you have perfectly customized the Live Speech so that it works in line with your preference.
- To do so, click on the Apple menu at the upper left corner of the screen
- Now, choose the System Settings option in the menu.
- Next, select -> Accessibility.
- Head over to the Speech section and click on Live Speech.
- After that, perfectly customize Live Speech to your heart’s liking. For instance, you can select a preferred language, choose the desired voice, adjust the font size, and create favorite phrases.
Set Up Accessibility Shortcut for Live Speech on Your Mac
- On your Mac, hit the Apple menu at the top left corner of the display and choose System Settings.
- In the sidebar, click on Accessibility.
- Next, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on Shortcut.
- Next up, make sure that the box to the left of Live Speech is checked off.
Activate/Deactivate Live Speech With Touch ID on Your Mac
- After you have customized Live Speech on your Mac, press the Touch ID button three times in quick succession to enable or disable it.
- When the Live Speech menu shows up, type in the text and then hit the play button to have your words spoken.
Enable/Disable Live Speech with a Keyboard Shortcut on Mac
- Invoking Live Speech with a keyboard shortcut on Mac is just as simple.
- Just press the Option+CMD+F5 keys at once to bring up the Live Speech.
And that’s about it! I hope “Live Speech” will always be at your fingertips now. Talking about functionality, it is well-thought-out and has been neatly implemented. What do you think of it?