With a massive collection of movies and TV shows, Amazon Prime Video is a great destination for watching your favorite flicks and shows. Just like other video-streaming apps, the Prime Video app also shows subtitles so that you can comfortably understand foreign accents or for that matter get through any slang without scratching your head or raising eyebrows in sheer disbelief. But what if subtitles are not working in Amazon Prime Video on your iPhone? No worries! Give a try to these 12 viable tips to bring subtitles back on track so that your binge-watching does not get hampered anymore.
Fix Subtitles Not Showing in Amazon Prime Video App
Why are subtitles not showing in Prime Video? Well, there could be a cluster of reasons behind this problem. For instance, a software glitch in the video-streaming app could be crashing your watch party or the system-wide closed captions might be ill-functioning. Having thoroughly checked the issue and the complaints from several users, I have suggested solutions that can let you overcome the hurdle. With that in mind, let’s cut to the chase!
1. Enable Subtitles in Amazon Prime Video App
First off, make sure you have enabled subtitles in the Prime Video app. Note that you will need to manually turn on subtitles for specific movies or TV shows.
- To do so, open the Prime Video app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Then, head over to a movie or a TV show and play it.
- After that, tap on the Subtitle icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then, choose a preferred subtitle language from the list and you are all set!
2. Note That Not All Movies/Shows May Support Subtitles
Bear in mind that not all movies and TV shows may support subtitles. So, before throwing tantrums or scratching your head out of exasperation, be sure that the movie in question is on board with the feature.
3. Force Quit Amazon Prime Video App and Relaunch It
Another reliable solution that you should try without fail is to force quit the Amazon Prime Video app. If the app is faced with a random glitch, force quitting will help you fix it.
- On your iPhone or iPad without the Home Button: Swipe up from the Home Bar to bring up the app switcher -> swipe up the app card to kill the app.
- On your iPhone or iPad with the Home Button: Double-press the Home Button to reveal the app switcher and then swipe up the app card to force quit it.
4. Enable Closed Captions
Notably, iOS offers a native way to activate closed captions. If the Prime Video app is not showing subtitles, make sure to enable the system-wide closed captions.
- To begin with, navigate to the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- After that, scroll down and tap on Accessibility -> Subtitles and Captioning.
- Then, turn on the toggle for Closed Captions + SDH.
- After that, restart your iPhone.
- Now, launch the Prime Video app -> play a movie to check if the problem is gone.
5. Restart Your Device
6. Clear Prime Video Search History
Though this tip sounds unrelated to the issue that we are talking about, some users who had faced the same problem have claimed success by deleting the search history.
- Head into the Amazon Prime Video app –> your profile -> Settings -> Clear video search history and confirm.
7. Update Prime Video App
If it’s been a while since you updated the Prime Video app, there is a good chance that the outdated version of the app could be behind the problem.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone and tap on your profile at the top right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to find Prime Video and then hit the Update button.
8. Sign Out and Sign Back In
At times, you can troubleshoot an ill-functioning app by just signing out and signing back in.
- To do so, open the Amazon Prime Video app -> tap on your profile at the top right corner of the screen -> choose Settings -> My Account -> Sign Out.
- Now, force quit the app and then sign in using your Amazon account.
9. Deregister Your Device and Register Again
Now, deregister your iPhone and register it again. A fresh stance might work in bringing the ill-fated subtitles back into action.
- Go to the Amazon Prime Video app -> your profile -> Settings -> Registered Devices -> find your device and hit Deregister. Make sure to hit “Are you sure?” to confirm.
- Now, register your device from the scratch.
10. Update Software
If none of the tips has worked in fixing the subtitles not working problem in the Prime Video app, try updating the software. There might be a software bug behind the subtitles not working issue.
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone -> General -> Software Update.
- After that, download and install the latest version of the software.
11. Delete and Reinstall Amazon Prime Video App
Some users who had run into the same problem reported that deleting and reinstalling the Prime Video app worked in fixing the subtitles issue. Hence, I would suggest you give it a chance as well.
- Just touch and hold onto the Prime Video app icon -> Remove App -> Delete App and confirm the action.
- Next, open the App Store -> find Prime Video and reinstall it.
- Next up, launch the Prime Video app and set it up from the scratch.
12. Factory Reset Your iPhone or iPad
Factory reset has been my go-to savior for fixing issues that do not seem to get fixed through basic tips.
- Go to the Settings app -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone/iPad -> Reset -> Reset All Settings and confirm the action.
Fixed the Subtitles Not Working Problem on iPhone and iPad..!
There you have it! So, these are the best tips and tricks to resolve subtitles not working in the Prime Video app. Hopefully, you’ve got the better of the problem. By the way, which tips have brought this important feature back on track in the video streaming app?